Sunday, October 9, 2011

Celebrating Autumn

Whitney among the trees.

We went apple picking this weekend. Apple picking is a Northeastern tradition. In the Northwest apple picking is a profession. And not one usually done by nice families and married couples ; ) I organized the event for our church and we hosted a a 'harvest feast' after the voluntary manual labor.  I made butternut squash soup and apple pie from the apples we had picked earlier that day.

 First bite.
 He approves!
 We spied these apples still on the tree but bitten!
 Tribute to Steve Jobs?


Our good friends Kim & Lloyd. Beautiful background right?!


 The line for the cider donuts. We waited in line for over an hour. I know! I actually don't know why we waited for so long. There is just something about a long line that once you've committed you can't turn back. After 15 minutes we were hooked. We kept saying, 'just 15 more minutes.' Any ways I was going to be so ticked if these weren't the best darnest donuts I've ever tasted. And you know what? Honey Pot pulled through. They are pretty darn delicious. Warm from the fryer. Still kind of gooey in the center and covered in cinnamon and sugar. Yum.
Our sad faces (from all the waiting) are pictured below. 


1 comment:

  1. The apple picking was Oct 1 on the east side. When I drove into Chelan on that Friday afternoon, the big rigs were delivering huge wooden crates. When I drove back home Saturday night, the crates had been mysteriously filled. It was a glorious weekend. No apple cider, though..

    ReplyDelete