Sunday, April 10, 2011

Disappointment and Moving On

Yesterday I received my third and final rejection letter from the three Graduate schools I applied to. I had a little cry - although I tried really hard not to - and many hugs and kisses from my husband (this is what made the not crying so difficult). Then I had to move on and tackle the 'What next?" question. Truthfully I had been mulling this question over for the last few weeks as I had a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't be emptying any bedpans or checking pulses this fall. As some of you know, and presumably some of you don't, Chad and I are happily relocating this September to an apartment on the Allston/Brookline border which is closer to our church, the BU gym, and of course Brookline (our favorite neighborhood). Chad will be starting his PhD work in June and since now I'm not going to school, we will be living off two incomes for a change. This will give us an opportunity to hopefully save money for the future and pay off a little more of my student debt (it's quite ghastly). I plan to reapply for Fall 2012 - but this time to accelerated RN programs. This means just becoming a straight RN - no Masters degree. I was looking forward to getting my Master's since I've already completed my Bachelor's and don't really need another one. However there's not much choice now is there? These programs are usually between 13-18 months long. I figure that will give me a few years of working as an RN before Chad and I start having all the babies. Then later on I can get my Masters - if I'm still interested at that point.

This is the plan. I'm still confused about what I'm supposed to do with my life and how it's all going to work out. Lately I've just been thinking (crazy thinking that is) that we should just have kids right now (Why not? I think to myself). Chad says that people have babies in poorer conditions than ours all the time. I quickly point out that this does not mean we need to purposefully having babies in our situation (of no money if you're confused on what I mean by this). Who knows why I've been thinking about this lately, especially when I've had my good friend Sam Dziadul so recently explain to me the horrors of child birthing and the rigors of early mothering. Don't worry Mom, I'm not really serious about all this (I think!) : ) Anyways, Chad says I should move onto other topics, and so I shall.

Yesterday we went on a 9 mile hike through the Blue Hills with Greg. It was 60 degrees - a perfect hiking temperature. It wasn't terribly difficult, but long. It was great to get outside on one of the first nice Saturdays of the year. I've also been planning a Married Couples retreat for our church. Ten couples are heading out to the Cape during the last weekend in April. It should be lots of fun - we're all really looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be nice and we can have a BBQ and enjoy the beach!

Ok - that's all I can think of for now.
Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that Whit. Keep your chin up - God has a plan :) I can't wait to see you guys so soon!

    ReplyDelete