It's been a little chilly here lately. No snow beyond some flurries yet, but it's supposed to snow for three days starting Sunday. I remember last year I was worried about our plane getting out of Logan, and it looks like that worry will return this year. Really though, I'm looking forward to the snow, since otherwise the days mock you by looking sunny, and then you step out and go "OH MY GOD MY FACE!" as it freezes. One must be careful not to hit it on anything for fear it will chip off in little bits.
However, winter in Boston is a lot of fun as things start to freeze over, and pretty soon one can walk across the Charles into Cambridge if there's too much traffic, and there'll be ice-skating and snow on the rooftops. We won't see it though until January, because we'll be in Seattle! My parents are in the middle of driving up to their new house in Mill Creek after stopping in Eugene, OR, for the night. It's probably a good idea to stop, but the several times I've done the drive from California to Seattle, I've always powered through. Victoria can attest that this is not as fun and epic as it may sound. In any case, Whit and I are very excited to see the new house and spend time with both of our families, as they now live within a half-hour of each other! Now it looks like we don't have to worry about flying home since it is in the same place for both of us, which is really a great answer to prayer.
On the home front, Whitney's applications to nursing school are going well, and she's wrapping them up this weekend and then it's just a waiting game. I have my last final of the year on the gastrointestinal system before I'm done on Friday morning. Since we're not leaving till next Thursday, I've found a few things to fill up my 6 days. I'll be shadowing a couple of doctors on the wards and in private practice, and I'll also be helping to write a grant for a lab I'm interested in rotating in next summer. It was a bit of a surprise to be asked, but I said grant-writing was something I wanted to learn, so I guess it's time to jump into it. Studying for the 1st of the 3 licensing exams next May has also started to eat up my schedule, and I'm working my way through two review books and a question bank to begin preparing. Right now the question bank is serving me humble pie, but it's better that I start studying now and have 5 months to bring my score up. I've also gotten to the next step in the RA process, which is attending a more in depth information session about the duties and responsibilities of being an RA in February. Though it would be another big commitment, I would really like the chance to work with undergrad in that capacity, since I didn't get that chance at SPU, and it would enable us to move exactly where we want to live and for free.
As far as church and friends go, Whit and I have been busy on weekends hanging out with people from church, and she has been doing her once a month prayer group. We had a christmas party the other day with several couples from church and the hosts, being from the South, made a great BBQ-style dinner with ribs and briskets and it was all so tasty, followed by hours of great conversation. Church has been a interesting lately as our sermon series on Heaven unfolds. I find the view put forth by our pastor as a very interesting one I've never heard before, and I'm glad he decided to preach on something most pastors avoid. It's a bummer that what I find as some of the most interesting topics to preach on are never really touched on, like eschatology. Otherwise Whitney is getting crazy involved at church, running large catered dinners and upgrading the coffee table to fresh-ground beans with real milk in a carafe.
We can't wait to see all of you and celebrate the end of year holidays!
-Chad
No comments:
Post a Comment