Saturday, June 9, 2012

3rd Summer in Boston

Well today we're at panera bread; Whitney's studying while I'm playing on the iPad. Her first week of nursing school is over, and she is enjoying most of her classes so far.  She has been learning about vital signs and patient histories and getting to know her classmates.  Her class is pretty small, only thirty people, so she is making friends quickly.  It's been great to see her so excited about the  new things she is learning and doing, and of course it's also fun that I can actually answer her questions since I've done med school.  The only thing that's proving a challenge for her is buckling down and studying at home since she doesn't have to go to campus on mondays or fridays.  However, she's gotten the opportunities to hang out with women from church more and go on walks and such.  Right now the weather is gorgeous after a week of storms and we hope it holds till next weekend when we go camping!  After a sunny afternoon in Brookline we plan on having drinks on a friend's roof deck in the back bay.  Tomorrow after church I'm playing squash and then we're having over friends for dinner before they leave on a trip. I had been home bound the last week and a half  in preparation for my qualifying exams.  I took the written this wednesday, and after nine hours of writing I have heard back from four of the five professors and I have gotten two passes and two high passes.  It feels a little British-y but there you go. I have an oral qualifying presentation this Thursday and then I'm done and can go back to full time research without any classes!   Last week was of course I managed to survive 25 years and we had a small party at our house with some if friends to celebrate.  Whitney and both our parents got me a sweet iPad 2, and Whit also got us tickets to see cirque du soleil this Wednesday!  I have always wanted to see them and they come to Boston twice a summer so I'm glad we're going this year! Our summer is going to be a little sparse since a lot of our friends are taking multiple week trips to Europe or Nepal.  However people, have already started planning their fall trips out here, so if you're reading this we've got room for you too!  Whitney and a friend went to the scooper bowl, which is the annual ice cream festival in government center, and we've already been to the beach, but our main focuses will be school and getting research done so I can get some publications and stay on schedule.  It's hard to believe that the halfway point of our time here is hopefully coming up this year.  As of the 19th we will have been in Boston three years, with hopefully less than four left before returning. However, while we're he we have been trying to plug in as much as we can and I feel more like a new englander every day.  In fact our first kids will likely BE new englanders.  Crazy to think about.   The only other things that are changing are that after two years in married couples small groups, whit and I have decided at the end of summer to begin leading a new group that includes people from college kids to families.  We've gotten a little isolated in who we know and feel we need to branch out to better meet the needs of Highrock, and we're excited to get to know some of the other groups at church.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that Whitney has time to decompress and that you both are reaching out to those outside of your generation. rock on.

    ReplyDelete