Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sizzling Spring

Who knows what to expect around here anymore. Two feet of snow in October? Check. Ninety degree days in March and April? Check and check. Good gracious! Needless to say, it's been really warm lately, and by that I mean pushing 90 degrees. This means we've unfortunately figured out the disadvantages of living in a third floor apartment.


Anywhoo... I'm sure it will snow in two weeks time.


Let's see... what have we been up to? I registered for my classes at Simmons last week! That was very exciting. I'm still waiting to hear back from UMass (I'm currently on the wait list) but I obviously have to move forward with Simmons seeing as how I now have a slim chance at getting in at UMass. It was really great to figure out what my schedule is going to be in the fall. My classes are on Mondays and Tuesdays, with a late lab on Thursdays. This works out great because it means that I can work Wednesday through Friday at my current job. I've been really enjoying my job lately and I'm glad that I can stay a little bit longer (and of course make some money). It feels great to have everything all set and to know what I'll be doing for the next two years.
We had a very relaxed Easter. We had our good friends Lloyd & Kim over for Easter dinner after church. I made ham and the most delicious scalloped potatoes. The leftover ham has been a lovely addition to sandwiches and breakfasts all week now.
Chad has been humming along at the lab. Along with keeping up with his cells and the mice he is now studying for his qualifying exams (you must pass these to continue on with the PhD) that are coming up in June. He also has been very much into investing lately. He ordered a 'how to' type book off Amazon and now keeps talking about stocks, IRAs, etc. I'm very confused but I trust him to know what's smart in terms of investing... I think.
Swimming is something new that we've been doing together lately. I've never really swam for exercise before. My idea of swimming has always been jumping into a lake and swimming to the dock. I can get from point A to point B easily enough. However, swimming across a pool in a certain defined way is totally new to me and it's been quite hilarious if not a frustrating experience. The little five year olds at their swim lessons can out swim be many times over. It can be frustrating but I've been having fun learning under Chad's excellent tutelage and it feels good to be challenged. I'm concentrating so hard on not drowning I don't notice how hard I'm working!


Chad and I have been organizing the married couples retreat this spring. We're heading up to North Conway New Hampshire this weekend with five other couples for what should be an awesome weekend. The only bummer was that there wasn't a big turn out this year. Our church has a lot of married couples but so many of them either seemed not interested or busy. I actually had to downsize to a smaller house at the last minute because we couldn't find enough people. Despite that I think everything will turn out really well.
Hope everyone is having a lovely spring!

3 comments:

  1. Pray them in. Building cohesive fellowship that stands against the world is totally contrary to the spirit of the age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it when your blog gets a make-over!! So fun. Oh my goodness - swimming! Well done. I don't like to work that hard. I've been enjoying Zumba myself. We should do a class together next time you're in town :) Missing you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for updates! Your blog looks awesome! Have fun at your retreat! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete