Saturday, May 21, 2011

Counting down to vacation.

For the last month or so I've been counting down the days until our vacation. The last two weeks have been moving very slowly. Last week I was quite ill. Diseased actually. I missed a day of work and went home early two other days. I laid out on the couch and watched a lot of movies. We have recently been renting movies from our local libraries. It's great because you can request most any movie or TV series and they will send it to your branch. This was especially helpful while I was a couch potato. I watched Julie & Julia, Persuasion, Dear John, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Leap Year and a few others I think. Like I said, a lot of movies. After my full sick day I was so antsy! I was so glad to be back at work on Thursday. I actually had a bit more appreciation for my job. Lately I've been a little bitter towards my job. Now that I know I'll be there for another year or more all the little things that bug me about the company have just annoyed me more. I know I will have to endure them for longer and it's frustrating to see so many areas that need improvement but not seeing any change. I think I brushed it off before because I thought I was leaving this summer, but now that I'm not, I find myself easily having a negative attitude. However, I find more and more that the patients are getting to know me better. Every day there are patients that greet me by name when I see them in the waiting room. They remember past conversations and ask me how things are going. The patients are definitely the best part of the job. Earlier this week I was chatting with one of our 'regulars' and he asked me how I liked living in the city and how expensive riding the T was. I told him that I had a monthly pass. The patient said that it must be nice because a pass is obviously much cheaper then a car. I then told him that I had a car too. His response? "Oh, so your a rich girl.' My response: nervous laughter. Rich girl? Does a car mean I'm rich? And he also knew I lived in Roxbury. So it wasn't like he could have interpreted city living for some posh loft downtown. This patient lives in the back woods of New Hampshire (the 'Live free or die' State) so he might have a different idea of 'rich.' There are always funny situations like this every now and then.

Chad takes his big test Wednesday. He is ready to take it and be done with it. I can't imagine spending a whole month studying every day for 8+ hours for one test. Even weekends. One of Chad's greatest gifts is definitely strong will power and determination. He will take it and then leave straight from the test site to the airport. I will be leaving straight from work to the airport. So we will have to take all of our stuff with us. Last weekend I got out our summer clothes for Hawaii! : )

Today is beautiful and sunny after a week of cold, cloudy, rainy days. You should hear everyone whine and complain after only two days of rain! I actually didn't mind at all : ) Reminds me of home. This morning we got up at 7:00 and I started making a quiche and lemon blueberry scones for our brunch with our friends Matt & Lisa Onsum. It was quite the feast! Besides the quiche, scones, and fruit salad I had made, Matt & Lisa had brought more fruit and delicious banana bread. It was so yummy and fun to have people over for brunch! We had never done that before. Then we drove into Brookline to go for a walk to enjoy the sunshine. Chad showed me some used games at GameStop just in case I ever needed to get him a 'just because' gift : ) The rest of the weekend is just down time before vacation. I'm doing laundry and I'm going to try to pack everything I can this weekend so I'm not leaving it to the last minute. Tuesday night I get to pick Greg and Heather up from the airport, so I won't get much done that night.

We so look forward to seeing everyone back home!
Next post: HAWAII! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment